Workout Plan: November 16-22
The days are getting shorter, colder, and busier as we gear up for the holiday season!
This time of year is notorious for "making people gain weight." But it doesn't HAVE to be that way if you don't want it to.
Read on for 5 Quick Tips to Avoid the Holiday Gain:
1. Stay consistent with your workouts. Give yourself that gift every single day. I've put together a plan for you below. It could take as little as 15-20 minutes if you simplify it and only do 1-2 sets of each exercise. That's totally do-able every day. You've got this!
2. Drink a gallon of water every day (spread out throughout the day). I know it sounds totally cliche, but if you're drinking water before you eat anything (or instead of eating), you'll be less likely to overeat. Sometimes you actually feel hungry when you're just really thirsty. DON'T drink a full gallon in one sitting. That could kill you. For real. Spread it out throughout the day and you'll be just fine without washing out/seriously diluting important electrolytes. Try drinking 16-32 oz when you wake up in the morning, 8oz every hour, and 8-16 oz before 20-30 minutes before each meal.
3. Plan your meals and STICK with that plan. Heck, you could even prepare those meals in advance and have them all ready to go for when you need to eat! Make sure to include lots of water- and fiber-rich fruits and veggies with each one. I like to have fruit (and often veggies) at breakfast and veggies with lunch and dinner. Add in a fist-size of protein (plant-based or animal-based, whatever your preference is) and a cupped handful of quinoa, rice, sweet potatoes, or some sort of starch and you've got a well-rounded meal that will nourish you and keep you satiated for several hours.
4. Get some extra Zzzz's. We could all learn a little from mother nature and all those animals out there that settle down to bed a little earlier during the winter. They don't stay up late catching up on emails, scrolling through social media posts, or watching their favorite shows. Put down the phone, turn off the TV, and go to bed at a decent hour. You'll have more energy for workouts, more will-power for turning down the food you don't really want to eat, AND you'll produce more growth hormone, which means you'll recover more quickly from workouts and get better gains from all that hard work in the gym. Oh, you'll also be more likely to handle the every day stress that comes along! Win-Win!
5. Breathe. Yup, it's that simple. But how often do we really stop and take some deep, fully intentional breaths? Every morning and every night (and maybe before each meal), stop and take 5-10 LONG, FULL breaths. Breathe in for 5 or more counts, breathing into your belly, hold it 3-5 counts, then exhale fully, pulling your belly button in towards your spine to push all the air out (sneaky ab exercise too), hold there for 3-5 counts and then repeat. I challenge you to try this and then email me with what happens!
Here's to another great week and feeling on top of the world!
Monday: Power of Ten #2
Tuesday: Tabata #11
Wednesday: Upper Body Sculpt #3
Thursday: Sevens #10
Friday: 1000 Rep Workout #2
Saturday: 30+ min Activity of Choice OR 12-Minute Jump Rope Workout
Sunday: Active Rest Day - walk, stretch, yoga, Pilates, whatever makes you feel good and refreshed!